It's a worthwhile book for preppers or those trying to live more self-reliantly, mainly because it focuses on simple, healthy, homemade recipes, with ingredients that are often readily available.
Also, while you can make this recipe in a standard cast-iron skillet, it's sometimes more convenient to buy a sectioned cast iron skillet made specifically for cornbread, scones, etc. (this kind of skillet is what made the cornbread in the photo above).
Ingredients (serves 8)
4 Egg Yolks
2 cups Yogurt
1 tsp. Salt
2 cups Cornmeal
4 Egg Whites
¼ cup Butter
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, then add yogurt, salt, and cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they're stiff, then fold them into the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet until it's medium-hot.
- Melt butter in skillet, then pour in cornbread batter.
- Cover skillet and keep over medium-hot fire (or burner) for 10 minutes.
- Carefully loosen cornbread around the outside edges, cut into wedges (unless using a sectioned pan), and flip each wedge over.
- Cover skillet and let cook for 2 minutes longer, or until the top of the cornbread has browned.
- Remove from skillet and serve hot.