13 March 2012

Practical advice on situational awareness and firearm self-defense

Like I've noted in my previous posts on beginning gun buyer resources and considerations for selecting the right type and size of firearm, I do not consider myself "expert" on firearms. Because, of that, I turn to those who are firearms professionals in order to help me get smarter. In this post, I'm again passing on some of the useful information I've found.

I've mentioned before that Massad Ayoob is one of my favorite experts, one who has trained other law enforcement professionals and gun enthusiasts alike. Below are five videos from Ayoob offering some good information for gun owners to keep in mind. If you enjoy these videos, I'm included a link to a DVD featuring Ayoob at the bottom of this post.

1. Tips When Stopped By Police and Carrying a Firearm
Assuming you have a concealed-carry permit and have your gun with you during a traffic stop, here is Ayoob's advice on handling yourself and advising the officer.

2. Awareness Reality Check
This video points out the necessity of staying alert when approaching your vehicle, along with some tips on checking it (and the surrounding area) for threats. [Note: The comment balloon on the video is from the person posting the video, not from me.]

3. Gas Station Survival
Here, Ayoob gives some advice on what gas stations are more risky. He also discusses staying alert and how to react if there's a robbery at the station.

4. Home Invasions
Ayoob on making your home more secure and dealing with intruders.

5. Finding Danger Signs
In this video, Ayoob gives guidance on assessing others for clues on whether they're likely to attack.

6. Shooting Aftermath
If the worst comes to pass and you've been forced to shoot someone, here is Ayoob's advice on precisely what to do and say in order to properly communicate the situation to law enforcement.

Bonus: Make Ready with Massad Ayoob: Home Defense
If you like the above videos, there's a good chance you'll like the Make Ready with Massad Ayoob: Home Defense DVD. Below is a promotional video for it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the nice comment, and for featuring my post on your site!

      Delete
  2. Excellent post my friend! Will RT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay here too, but I appreciate the nice comment and the RTs!

      Delete