12 January 2012

Quote for today on preparedness and conquering fear


You never conquer a mountain. Mountains can't be conquered; you conquer yourself — your hopes, your fears. –Jim Whitaker


Jim Whitaker was a past President and CEO of Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI), and he is a mountaineer, adventurer, speaker and environmentalist, best known as the first American to climb Mount Everest in 1963.

Whitaker was talking literally about a mountain, but this quote has always spoken to me about more than that; it says a lot about prepping.

For me, the mountain symbolizes the expected, but undefined, catastrophe for which we're preparing.

Like a mountain, we cannot conquer a disaster. We can hopefully deal with the effects and/or mitigate the damage, but the event itself will typically unfold as it will, regardless. What we can conquer is our fear.

Part of conquering fear is being adequately prepared. When you know that you've done all that you can, it gives you peace of mind.

Another element of handling fear is maintaining a positive attitude. Doing so can be a challenge of course, but that's where your hope and faith come in.

To that end, make sure that you don't ignore things to maintain and bolster your attitude in your preparedness, whether it's tucking away a bible or inspirational book, some important photos, and so on.

What are some steps that you've taken to maintain a positive attitude in the face of adversity?

2 comments:

  1. I have been purchasing books-many books-mostly on AMERICAN HISTORY. Also, today, I had some $ left on my Costco GC (which I had planned on using to buy a sewing machine)and ordered some crafts supplies for the grandkids.
    I have been a bit polarized lately and have had to face the fact that I wasn't preparing very well. So, I took the plunge (w/ my sewing machine $)and ordered some LONG SHELF LIFE PRODUCTS. I feel so much better today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Every step you take toward preparedness will hopefully bring you more peace of mind and prevent fear.

      Delete