19 January 2012

Quote for today on being dependently independent


To character and success, two things, contradictory as they may seem, must go together — humble dependence and manly independence; humble dependence on God and manly reliance on self. –William Wordsworth



This is one of my all-time favorite self-reliance quotes, and one that I refer to often.

That's because I am passionate about self-reliance and immerse myself in related reading and writing on related topics, and it's all too easy for me to focus on my capabilities and my attempts to control events in life.

I do my best to remind myself that, in reality, I am not in control of the events around me, and that no one else is either.

Sure, I can plan, set goals, make preparations, take action, and so on, but the real circumstances I experience are outside of my direct control. I believe that God guides the unfolding of events in my life; I can only control my reactions.

Likewise, it's important to me to remember that I need to rely on God for the strength and wisdom to make it through the difficult events that arise.

Thus, my most successful periods are when I rely on God and myself at the same time.

These same ideas (that control of events and the source of our capabilities) work for other beliefs too, no matter what Higher Power you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment