02 August 2011

Quote for the day on learning vs. doing

A knowledge of the path cannot be substituted for putting one foot in front of the other. – M.C. Richards
This is a quote that I use to remind myself to "get out of my head" and start doing things.

As a writer and an avid reader, I have a natural bent toward diving into a topic and learning all that I can about it. All too often, however, I continue my "research" beyond what is necessary, and don't get started on actually putting my self-education to good use.

It's then that I remind myself to stop getting "knowledge of the path," and start actually walking it.

Don't make this mistake with your preparedness and self-reliance — you probably already know something you can do right now to improve either one.

If you're just starting out, buy a little extra canned food at the store. Get a bag or a box and collect any emergency items (flashlights, first aid supplies, etc.) you already have on hand.

Just pick something small, and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment